Sunday, July 27, 2014

A girl with a kite

Happenstance. I saw her standing there with the tight brown shirt and white skirt. One hand a kite; the other a dark silhouette. Staring up pleasantly and smiling at the day. That same smile she wore when mesmerized by nature and the beauty of the world itself.

It's been a while. Years. I'm glad she's happy. It's certainly been a long time. Too much for a normal person, but I'm glad I can say that without malice. My best friend. How could I have ever wished anything other than happiness?

It'd been a while. Years. I knew I had healed, and it was time to repair whatever bridges were burned. Small chatter. Like the kind you make when standing next to an acquaintance during a long elevator ride. How's life? Distant. That's fine, I had been much too distant myself. Oh. Are you sure? I'm sorry, I don't understand. Well, when you change your mind, I'll be here, ready to listen to your stories.

It'll be a while. Years. I hope when that time comes we'll both still be here. It certainly won't be the same, but we'll enjoy the conversation. Art. Life. Family. The magnificence of humanity. I'll hug your new love and say thank you. Thank you so much for making her so happy. We'll part ways and live our lives, but for that one moment, I'll know that I never lost a friend.

Not today. I knew there was still not much to say. Eye contact. Slight wave. Smile. Turn away.



No comments:

Post a Comment